Alberta Online Casinos
Alberta to Canada is what Las Vegas is to the USA: an unmatched gambling destination. Players from all over the country come to visit some of the most impressive resorts ever built. From church bingo to modern online gambling Alberta, there’s a rich history behind the gaming culture in this province.
Let’s talk about land-based and online casinos in Alberta. We’ll recommend the best places to play, discuss deposit and no deposit bonuses, and cover the basics on the laws that regulate gambling in Alberta.
Best Online Casinos in Alberta
Key Stats About the Land-Based and Online Casino Alberta Industry
When we look at the crucial statistics regarding gambling in Alberta, it’s easier to understand how big this industry is.
- Population: Alberta has over 4.4 million residents. It is estimated that around 75% of all Canadians take part in some type of gambling. In Alberta, where gambling is extremely popular, that percentage is even greater.
- Legal gambling age: You have to be at least 18 years old to enter a casino resort or access an Alberta casino online. Don’t try to provide false information, since you’ll have to verify your identity before withdrawing money.
- Land-based gambling destinations: Ottawa is the province with the highest number of land-based casinos in Canada (73 at the moment). Alberta is right behind it, with 28 active land-based casinos in 2022.
- Gambling websites: At the moment, there is only one website licensed by the AGLC: Play Alberta. However, Canadian gamblers can access several online casinos with offshore licenses, too.
Top 5 Alberta Online Casino Games
Canadian online casinos and games mimic the most realistic gambling experience that you get in Alberta casino resorts. At the moment, these are the most popular games to play online:
- Video Poker: This is a computerized five-card draw poker game. You play against the computer. The player’s odds are usually above 97%, so you get more chances to win at video poker when compared to most slots.
- Roulette: This is a classic game that’s popular in the online environment. You can play all types of roulette in two versions: computerized or through a live studio broadcast.
- Slots: If you’re after the best payout, which can reach millions of dollars, them progressive jackpot slots are a good choice. Gambling sites feature hundreds of classic and progressive slots.
- Blackjack: There’s an excellent selection of blackjack games online. On PlayAlberta, the official gambling site for Alberta citizens and residents, you can play a demo version of the game before making a deposit.
- Live Dealer: Live dealer games are popular because they bring you closer to the real gambling experience. You join a table with other players (from Canada and the rest of the world, depending on the website you choose). A live dealer behaves in the most professional way.
Important Facts About Gambling in Alberta
What should you know before you start gambling in this province? Let’s cover some brief facts about online and traditional gambling in Alberta!
A Brief History: How Did Gambling Start in Alberta?
The first charitable casino in the province was opened in 1957. Since then, it took a while (1980) for a real, glamorous casino to be introduced to Alberta citizens. To this day, Alberta still uses a charitable gaming model, which includes private operators, charitable organizations, horse racetrack operators, bingo associations, volunteers, private businesses, and First Nations operators.
The Popularity of Gambling in Alberta
After Ottawa, Alberta holds the second place in gambling popularity. There are great poker communities, exciting charitable tournaments, and constant action across the casinos in the province.
When Will the Casinos in Alberta Reopen?
The situation with COVID-19 forces the government to update and change its policies regarding social gatherings all the time. At the moment, the government recommends Albertans to limit in-person contacts, especially if they aren’t vaccinated. If you’re looking for the official casino Alberta reopening date that would bring the gambling industry back to its normal status, follow the information on the Government of Alberta’s website.
The good news is that gambling websites are always open. They work 24/7!
Lotteries Available to Players
At the moment, 5 lotteries are available through the PlayAlberta website:
- Lotto Max ($20 million reward)
- Lotto 6/49 ($6 million reward)
- Daily Grand ($1,000 a day for life)
- Western Max ($2 million reward)
- Western 6/49 ($2 million reward)
Gambling Laws and Authority in Alberta
According to the Alberta Gaming Control Act, this province uses a charitable model for gambling. AGLC (Alberta Gaming, Liquor & Cannabis) is the only authority that regulates gambling. Its role is to issue licenses and ensure fair gaming in establishments like casinos, vlt sites, and bingo halls.
This brings us to the question: is online gambling legal in Canada? – Yes; it’s legal. However, AGLC offers it through a single licensed website; PlayAlberta. Players, who want other options, can also use casino sites licensed by offshore authorities.
What’s the Best Online Casino Alberta?
If you’re after a legal online casino Alberta licensed by AGLC, then PlayAlberta is your only choice. What’s the point in legalizing the online gambling industry when the government keeps it under a monopoly? The goal is to keep the money from Alberta citizens within the province.
This website is decent. It offers several slots and table games, as well as lottery tickets. The best part is the live dealer games are also available. You can play baccarat, roulette, blackjack, and other games live.
If you’re open for other options, these are the top rated international casinos that accept players from Canada:
Top Land-Based Casinos in Alberta
At the moment, there are 28 casinos across the province. These are the most popular ones:
- PURE Casino Yellowhead
- Starlight Casino Edmonton
- PURE Casino Calgary
- Grand Villa Casino Edmonton
- Elbow River Casino
We’re talking about state-of-the-art casinos with a huge selection of games. But with land-based casinos, it’s not just about the games. After all, you can play them online. Here, it’s about the glamour, prestige, and socializing. Those aspects of the gambling experience can hardly be mimicked in the online environment.
How We Rate the Best Alberta Online Casinos
When we recommend gambling websites, we make sure they get the safest, most reliable, and most fun user experience. These are the main factors we evaluate:
- Security: A secure website needs a certificate, which indicates it’s being audited by an independent organization.
- Licensing: There’s only one website with an official license to offer Alberta online gambling services. When recommending international websites, we make sure they have been licensed to offer services by reputable foreign authorities.
- Promotions: Your experience as a user will be improved if you get a great bonus under fair terms and conditions. Some of the most popular online casinos offer impressive free spins, first deposit and no deposit bonuses. The most important question about promos is: “Can I win a good amount and withdraw it without getting stuck in playthrough requirements?”
- Payments: We recommend online casinos with highest payout percentage. We evaluate the RTP rates of individual games, too. Gamblers require quick deposits and a fast payout.
- Deposit and withdrawal methods: It’s important for a gambler to use a payment method that’s reliable and convenient for them. Visa and MasterCard are accepted by most online casinos. E-wallets are another great option. Some websites offer bank wire, cryptocurrency, prepaid cards, and other banking methods.
- Platform / User Experience: The website’s appeal and usability are also important. Players need access to 24/7 customer support, which would help them solve any issues with the games or payments.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What’s the legal age for gambling in Alberta?
Players have to be at least 18 years old to enter a casino or create an online casino profile.
- How does Alberta regulate casinos?
At the moment, there’s a single online casino Canada legal option: PlayAlberta. It’s regulated and governed by AGLC, the licensing authority for Alberta gambling. The province allows gambling by the charitable model.
- Does Alberta require me to pay taxes on my gambling winnings?
No! The state will not tax your winnings from gambling and sports betting.
- What are the recommended payment methods for online gambling?
We recommend e-wallets (such as Skrill and Neteller) as the fastest banking options for both deposits and withdrawals. If you prefer using a credit/debit card, you can feel safe with those payment methods, too. With a secure website, it’s okay to use any of the offered methods of payment.