Play at the Best Online Poker Sites Canada
Canada has a rich industry of gambling. Nowadays, you can play all sorts of games on your phone or desktop, with a great chance to win and access to amazing bonus offers. One of the most popular games that Canadians are playing today is poker. Because of the interest in poker, Canada is a haven for it. You’ll find live titles in addition to traditional versions, as well as numerous tournaments to join to play this game.
Why is this, you might wonder? Well, poker falls in a legal gray area in Canada. Since gambling is regulated on a basis of provinces, there aren’t specific boundaries for online gambling. In other words, there’s nothing in the criminal code of the country against playing online poker. Knowing this, you should definitely keep reading this to find out more about poker in this country.
Best Online Casinos with Online Poker in Canada 2022
How We Test and Choose the Best Canadian Poker Sites
For starters, we need to make sure that the casino in question is licensed and safe to use. We follow up by checking these things for you:
Welcome and No-Deposit Bonuses
To select and find the best websites, we look for more than high registration bonuses or exclusive games. Claiming an instant play bonus can be tempting, but you should first know the wagering requirements before you jump at the opportunity to play. Ideally, bonuses will be wager free, but this hardly ever happens. Casinos have to have some perk from this and minimize their losses, so we’ll check all the details about the bonuses you’d be claiming before we recommend a website.
In addition to welcome promotions, players often have access to bonus codes and weekly or occasional promotions. You might even come across a no deposit bonus – that’s a perk you get without having to deposit your own money. All this depends on where you gamble.
Jackpots are enormous sums of money won on progressive games. These are by far the most frequently selected games since, who doesn’t want to win a jackpot? We’ll let you know if the casino in question has jackpot titles from high-rated software developers.
Even after you sign up to gamble on a website, you should be rewarded for your trust and loyalty. Loyal players get amazing perks on established casino sites in Canada, such as VIP support, exclusive bonuses, access to VIP poker tournaments, and more.
The software you’ll use for gambling can either change the quality of the games and your overall experience or keep it as amazing as it is on desktop. Since many gamblers nowadays prefer playing on mobile, we are searching for optimized websites who offer either browser play or app download.
Video Poker Games at Canadian Casinos
Video poker is a result of the successful combination of state central processing units and monitors. The earliest models of video poker appeared in the mid-1970s. In the 80s, this became one of the most popular games played in casinos and nowadays, it enjoys a prominent place in some of the best-rated Canadian websites.
Simply put, video poker is a computerized version of the traditional poker game played in land-based casinos and other establishments. It can be played online and offline, and comes in many variations that we’ll discuss below.
Popular Game Variations on the Best Online Poker Sites Canada
There are many variants of poker in online casinos in Canada nowadays, but some are more popular and more frequently chosen than others.
For many years now, this is the most popular poker variant – and on a global level. If you find a website or room that offers poker, this will definitely be part of their selection. Texas Hold’Em is not a hard game to master.
It starts when the two players located to the left of the button put forward their ‘blinds’ or forced bets. Each player gets 2 hole cards, which is when the player to the left of the big blind starts the game. The choices in this game are to call, raise, or fold.
Once the first betting round ends, a total of 3 cards are dealt. These are called ‘community cards’ and every player can use them simultaneously to make the best out of their hand. After the second round, 1 more community card is dealt, followed by a forth betting round. This ends with the ‘river’ card or the last community card. Finally, players have to show their cards – the ones that haven’t folded yet. The person with the best 5-card poker hand wins the game.
Next on our list is Pot Limit Omaha – a game with limited amount that can be bet. This is pretty much an Omaha game, but with a set amount placed in the pot. For example, you can bet $100 if you gamble with a $100 pot.
In this game and similar games like No Limit Omaha, betting starts from the player to the left of the blind. This is the big blind, which is basically the small bet. The small blind, on the other hand, is usually half of its size, but this can vary depending on the stakes.
In this game, players are dealt four hole cards each and the action proceeds around the table clockwise.
Before Texas Hold’em became the most popular poker variant, Stud Poker had its place as the most common played game. It’s very different from Omaha or Texas Hold’Em since each player in this variant gets their individual hand, and not hole or community cards. Some cards are hidden from gamblers and others are face-up, which means that other players on the table can see them.
This is an extremely easy game to learn. You need to learn how to read the potential strength of the hand of your opponent by seeing their exposed cards. When you start gambling, you must put forward an ante, and you’ll get one card face-up, and two cards face-down. Betting in this game is in a clockwise direction.
Razz is a variant of Stud Poker, so if you’ve played the one, you’ll master this one easily. In Razz, you need to make the lowest hand you can, but this doesn’t count flushes and straights. Aces also counts low in Razz, so the best hand you can have is A-2-3-4-5.
If you like Omaha Poker, then you’ll love this title! Also known as Omaha Eight-or-Better, this variant’s pot is divided in two at showdown between the lowest and highest-ranked poker hand. You can use combinations of the hole cards on the table to make high and low hands.
Since you’ll need to consider low and high combinations, this game is not ideal for you if you’re a beginner. Omaha Hi is a better one to get started, since it requires the highest-ranked hand to bring a win.
Because of its complexity, experienced gamblers love this game. It offers a big thrill and many opportunities to win.
2-7 Triple Draw
In 2-7 Triple Draw, you are dealt a 5-card hand that is yours only and others cannot see i.e. there aren’t any exposed cards. This is a low ball poker form where you get three draw attempts to make a low hand. In this variant, Aces are always high.
Five-Card Draw requires the highest 5-card poker hand to bring you a win. You’ll be dealt your individual hand which will not be exposed. It’s a simple game to master because it only has 2 betting rounds, one drawing round, and 5 cards given to each player from the start.
Many don’t know this, but 3-Card Poker is a version of ‘Brag’, a British game that appeared three hundred years ago. The game starts by players placing bets in the ‘Ante’ box. They then get 3 cards and can choose to bet or fold. The dealer needs to have at least a Queen or higher to qualify. When this happens, the dealer’s and the players’ hands are compared and the higher one wins the game.
Chinese Poker is beginner-friendly, but it’s also popular with experienced gamblers. Its simple format often results with unexpected and frequent outcomes. There’s a huge element of luck involved in this game, and it is usually played between four bettors.
In Chinese Poker, you’ll get a hand containing 13 cards that you have to divide in three separate hands – two of 5 cards and one of 3 cards. If you manage to make three straights or flushes, you automatically win no matter what kind of hands the other players have.
Mississippi Stud Poker
Mississippi Stud is a variant where you can win based on your final hand containing 5 cards. You have the opportunity to fold or raise as the dealer reveals the cards. For starters, you’ll get two face-down cards, and the dealer will deal 3 community cards face-down. You can either fold or bet. Then, the dealer or machine turns over the community card, giving you another chance at the same choice. This is followed by turning the remaining cards to finally reveal the winner.
Live Dealer Poker
In addition to video poker, gamblers in Canada can enjoy something more immersive and very popular right now – live dealer play. Basically, you won’t be playing on an automated machine, but you’ll be gambling in real time with other players and a dealer you see on the screen. Live dealer poker can come in almost every variant available for video games, including the ones mentioned above.
The Cost of Playing Online Poker Canada: Buy-Ins at Casinos
Buy-ins for poker games can vary greatly in different casinos. These are also determined on the variant you are playing. Generally speaking, the scaled commission fee taken by a casino is 2.5% to 10% of the poker hand pot.
This is one way to charge a buy in. Some casinos don’t base this on a percentage, but on a predetermined amount. For example, an initial buy-in for a $1/2 Texas Hold’em no-lilmit game would be $200. The same for a $1/3 game would be $300.
The same applies to live tournaments. The entry fee is based on the tournament structure and the guaranteed prize. The GTC determines how many entries there will be, and the entry fee amount. This can also be fixed or percentage-based.
In less popular tournaments, the buy-in can be anything from only $10 or $20 upward. In top-rated tournaments with big rewards, on the other hand, this can go to thousands of dollars.
Mobile Betting at the Best Poker Sites Canada
In addition to gambling on your desktop device, you can use your mobile phone to play at some Canadian casinos. Modern and popular websites usually have their games optimized for browser play – or offer them in an app. Not all of them will allow you to play poker on your phone, but the best will definitely do this. We make sure to check the gaming offers of each site on mobile before we rate them on this website.
Types of Banking Methods You Can Find on Poker Sites Canada
You can find all sorts of banking options for depositing and withdrawing in Canada. The most popular of them include:
- Major cards, both credit and debit, including Visa and MasterCard (sometimes also Maestro)
- Wire transfers
- E-wallets including PayPal, Skrill and Neteller
- Prepaid cards including Ukash and Paysafecard
- Direct bank transfers via platforms like Interac
- Cryptocurrency transactions, the most popular being Bitcoin (there are actually exclusive poker games for BTC users on some casino sites)
PayPal Gambling on the Best Online Poker Sites
Out of all available options, PayPal is one of the most frequently picked on behalf of Canadians. As an e-wallet, PayPal offers gamblers tons of security and flexibility. It is widely available nowadays, comes without fees for withdrawals, and allows you to collect your payouts in as little as hours at top-rated casino websites. Some alternatives to this method are Skrill and Neteller.
Are Winnings Taxable When You Play Online Poker Real Money in Canada?
One of the best things about playing poker in Canada is that your winnings are not taxed. There’s a principle in Canada that gambling is done with already taxed dollars, so if you are lucky, you won’t have to pay taxes on what you win.
However, this only applies if you are a recreational gambler and this isn’t your only income source. If you play poker professionally, you need to pay income tax.
Tips and Tricks for Playing Real Money Poker
Now that you know what your options in terms of poker games are, and how you can play them at online casinos, let’s consider some great tips applicable in all cases:
- Carefully select your table by considering your budget and preference
- Keep track of your bankroll
- Bluff if you know how, but don’t overdo it
- Start with video poker if you are new to the game before you switch to live play
- Play games with higher edge
- Don’t be emotional when playing this game
- Try a game in demo if you aren’t familiar with the variant
- Avoid distractions – this game demands all of your focus
Top Tournaments Found on the Best Poker Sites in Canada
There are many tournaments in Canada for poker players on a regular basis. But, some are better and more prestigious than others, and they attract gamblers from all over the globe. The top ones right now are:
This tournament requires a buy-in of $3,500 and is active several times every year. It started with a single successful event back in 2012, after which it moved to two, three, and more events in the years that follow. This tournament is played at the Playground Poker Club and has attendees like Phil Laak and Daniel Negreanu.
Also known as the World Series of Poker, this event takes place several times a year and costs up to $1500 to join. The smaller tournaments have buy-ins that start at $365, while the previously mentioned amount is a buy-in for the main event. The places where this tournament is held differ all the time.
Punta Cana Poker Classic
Requiring a buy-in of $1500, this one is played annually, usually in October or November. It’s actually a Caribbean tournament held yearly at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino.
Probably one of the most frequent and yet, very popular tournaments in Canada, Sunday Million is held weekly. It has a low buy-in of $200 and attracts millions of gamblers every year. The first prize usually goes around $150,000.
- Is it safe to play poker at online casinos?
- As long as you choose a safe, licensed, and approved casino in Canada, it is very safe to play there. Canadian casinos are regulated and licensed by legitimate companies like the UK Gambling Commission, the Malta Gaming Commission, and the Gibraltar Gambling Commission.
- Which are the best online poker Canada websites today?
- We have checked and ranked websites based on safety, quality of offerings, bonuses, and many other features on this site. Check out our top-rated websites to find the best poker site in Canada.
- Can I play poker on the Internet for real money?
- Yes. You can find numerous casino websites in Canada that offer poker play, both video versions and live dealer games.
- What’s the best-winning poker variant online?
- This depends on where you gamble and of course, your investment. Generally speaking, the highest-paying poker variants are Deuces Wild, Joker Poker, and All Aces.
- What’s the most popular poker variant today?
- Texas Hold’Em is the most popular variant of this game today. It’s featured at most casinos, including online and offline.
- Can I play poker on the Internet for free?
- Yes. Many casinos will allow you to gamble in a demo version before you jump at the opportunity to play with real money. This is recommended if you don’t know how a variant of the game is played.
- Can I gamble with my friends at online casinos?
- For a long time, online gambling was a one-player activity or you had to play with random gamblers. Nowadays, you can get together with friends and gamble on your phone or desktop, just like you would on an actual table.
- Can I play poker on my mobile or my tablet?
- Yes. The great Canadian casinos we’ve ranked highly have optimized their sites for mobile gamblers. THIs means that you can play poker on your phone or tablet without an issue.
- Do casinos offer bonuses for poker players?
- Yes. Casinos might hand you credits to use on any game of your choice, and you can definitely play with your bonus money on poker tables. However, keep in mind that in most cases, poker games contribute a small percentage to the playthrough requirement.
- What variations of this game can I find online?
- You can find many variations of this game in Canadian online casinos. The most popular ones include Texas Hold’Em, Omaha Hi-Lo, 7-Card Stud, 3-Card Poker, etc.
- Is it legal to play poker games at Canadian casinos?
- Online poker gambling is a gray legal area in Canada. There’s no law against playing this game on the Internet, and you don’t even have to pay taxes if you do it recreationally.
- Do casinos in Canada that have poker games accept PayPal as a banking method?
- Yes. This is one of the most popular methods, which means that you can find it in many casinos nowadays. The most popular sites usually have PayPal in their banking methods’ list.